Member of the Executive Committee
Fiona H. Marshall, Ph.D.
President, Biomedical Research since November, 2022
Fiona Marshall is President of Biomedical Research, the company’s innovation engine, where she leads approximately 5,300 scientists and other associates across six research sites dedicated to the discovery of high-value medicines for patients.
Fiona collaborates with experts across the pipeline—from R&D to manufacturing and commercial development—to ensure Biomedical Research’s technological and scientific breakthroughs translate into therapies that address the world’s greatest disease burdens.
As scientists, there’s nothing more fulfilling than seeing our discoveries translate into meaningful medicines for patients. Our research teams are committed to this mission. By building on our strengths, including our long history of scientific innovation and technological leadership, we aim to deliver the next generation of medicines that will make a real difference to people’s lives.
Prior to taking up her current role in November 2022, Fiona served as senior vice president and global head of discovery sciences, preclinical development and translational medicine at MSD (Merck & Co in the US). Prior to that, she was a founder and chief scientific officer of Heptares Therapeutics, a UK-based biotechnology company focused on structure-based drug design. Earlier in her career, Fiona was director of molecular pharmacology at Millennium Pharmaceuticals and spent 10 years at GSK, holding senior positions in molecular pharmacology and neuroscience.
Fiona holds a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry from University of Bath and a doctorate in neuroscience from the University of Cambridge, both in the UK. She was the recipient of the 2012 WISE Women of Outstanding Achievement for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award, the 2015 RSC Malcolm Campbell Award for Chemistry, and the Vane Medal from the British Pharmacological Society. She is also a fellow of the Royal Society and the Academy of Medical Sciences, and an honorary fellow of both the British Pharmacological Society and the Royal Society of Chemistry.
A frequent traveler, Fiona’s preferred destinations include national parks and wildlife conservation sites. She also enjoys spending time with her family in her native England.
Nationality: British | Year of birth: 1964
- Senior vice president, head of discovery, preclinical and translational medicine, Merck & Co., US, (2021–September 2022)
- Vice president, global head of neuroscience, Merck & Co., US (2019–2021)
- Vice president, head of UK discovery research, Merck & Co., UK (2018–2019)
- Executive vice president and chief scientific officer, Sosei Heptares, UK (2015–2018)
- Chief scientific officer and founder, Heptares Therapeutics, UK (2006–2018)
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, SciLifeLab, Sweden
- Fellow, Royal Society, UK Academy of Medican Sciences, and Royal Society of Biology, all UK
- Doctorate in neuroscience, University of Cambridge, UK
- Bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, University of Bath, UK